St John the Baptist has a friendly welcoming congregation of all ages with a variety of different services throughout each month. The 1st and 3rd Sunday morning Services each month are particularly suitable for children, whilst the 1st Sunday evening service of each month features informal and lively praise & worship.
For full details of this month’s services, click the Services link above.
Church Location and Parking
The church building is located on Church Street, Pewsey and parking is available on-street or in the nearby Co-op car park.
History of the Church Building
The Saxon settlement of Pevisigge almost certainly had a church built of wood and thatch on the present site high above the often flooded valley.
The Normans replaced it with one of stone and the arcades of pillars and arches remain. The font is also Norman.
In the 13th century the nave roof was rebuilt and a clerestory was formed and a tower was built.
In 1861 the south chancel aisle (the chapel) was added and the church was filled with pews and galleries.
The greatest restoration took place in 1889-90 during the incumbency of Canon Bouverie. He carved the font cover as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the 1914-18 war.