St. Matthew’s church is in fields down Church Lane, and welcomes all members of our community, both the young and the old. Pre-pandemic, there was a service every week: Communion on two Sundays led by ordained clergy; the other services led by retired clergy and lay people.
Rushall has a C of E Primary school, which has strong links with the church . Our vicar leads School Welcome, Easter, Leavers, Harvest and Carol Services, all held at the church. Church members also lead a weekly ‘Open the Book’ bible story during assembly.
The Village Hall is home to a coffee morning on the 1st Saturday of the month. A warm welcome awaits at any of our events, dates and times below.
On-street for about 20 cars (extra available for special events)
Reasonable path, no need of ramp
On special occasions
History of the building
Records first show a church on the site in the Dooms day Book, 1086. St Matthew’s Church was a dependency of Upavon monastic cell established by the great abbey of St Wandrille de Fontenelle near Rouen. All that survives of the original church is the 12th century octagonal font which is placed on a reused Norman column. The church was rebuilt in 1332 and from this rebuilding survive the Chancel arch, two windows reset in the north wall, the nave buttresses and the western section of the north wall of the Nave. The church graveyard was consecrated in 1402 and contains the grade 2 listed grave, the Bray Monument. The Tower was built in the late 15th or early 16th century and contains 3 bells, founded in c1400, 1740 and 1872.
The family chapel (Manor Pew) to the north (now used as the vestry), with its underlying crypt was built by the Poore family in 1789 and contains a memorial to Edward Poore. Edward Poore was a relative to Bishop Richard Poore who was instrumental in the building of Salisbury Cathedral as a replacement for the cathedral at Old Sarum. Extensive rebuilding identified by the brickwork took place in 1812. Further restoration took place in 1873 when the chancel roof was remodelled.
In 1905 significant remodelling took place. The existing vestry where the organ is was removed and Manor Pew became the new Vestry. The parsons entrance into the old vestry was blocked up. The gallery was removed. The font was moved into the Tower. The congregation lobby entrance doors were removed. The pew doors were removed and additional pews added to increase the congregation from 111 to 126.
St. Matthew's Church members and visitors can give to the work of the church in various ways:
Cash can still be given at a service if you wish.