The church originally stood in the grounds of the Saxon manor house.
Wootton came into the hands of the de la Riviere family after 1281 and the list of vicars dates from 1321.
Rebuilding took place in 1860 and a famous clock was built to commemorate the coronation of George V in 1911, using scrap iron, brass weights, gun metal and brass pipes. The clock has three faces.
The Great War had a devastating effect on the population. There is a memorial on the north wall.
The bells were relined and reinstalled in December 1999.