The church was built in 1856/58 through the efforts of Mrs Goodman, widow of Reverend Maurice Hillier Goodman in his memory. He was the owner of Oare House and Vicar of Wilcot for many years and had wanted to establish a church in Oare as he felt it was a hardship for the elderly and children to have to walk to Huish or Wilcot for a service.
The church is built of brick of several colours in the Romanesque style, round-arched with an apse. In the 1990s there was some re-ordering of the interior, the choir and some rear pews removed, the font repositioned and new carpeting throughout.
The churchyard is carefully managed as a wildlife sanctuary while the church is home to a small colony of bats. The original Oare school building was beside the road boundary, the cast iron school gate is still visible partly encased in the wall capping to the front railings.